HELP and TSL Debts and Overseas Travel

Do you have a HELP or TSL Debt? Plan to travel to or reside in another country?

The ATO has introduced changes relating to Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) and Trade Support Loan (TSL) obligations which commenced 1 July 2017.

If you are living or travelling overseas for more than 183 days in a 12 month period, you will be required to make repayments towards your HELP and TSL debts.  Repayments will be based on your worldwide income for the 2017 financial year. You will be required to submit an overseas travel notification if you meet certain criteria as well.

In the past your debt repayments were based on your Australian income.  However now if you live and work overseas and earn worldwide income that exceeds the minimum HELP and TSL repayment thresholds, you will be required to make repayments against your loan.

These changes apply to all new and existing HELP and TSL debts.

The ATO are looking into those individuals with debts that have been overseas for more than 183 days in a 12 month period and issuing Overseas Travel Notification Letters.

More information can be found on the ATO website at HELP and TSL Overseas Obligations

What you need to do:

If you have a debt and spend 6 months or more overseas then you are required to lodge an Overseas Travel Notification or a non lodgement advice with the ATO.

You can lodge the form yourself through your My Gov account before 31 October following the end of a financial year.  Alternatively you can give us a call to help you lodge this form.  As a registered tax agent we will also receive a lodgement extension to help you avoid those late lodgement penalties from the ATO.

Contact Us



ATO’s views on Bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies

In recent months Bitcoins and various other cryptocurrencies have attracted a lot of attention after having a roller-coaster ride in its prices over the past few months, and with more and more cryptocurrency trading platforms becoming available in Australia, it has become easier for Australians to dip into the crypto world. As cryptocurrencies are a new concept, what are the views of the ATO in relation to this new type of virtual currency?

Read More

Work-related car expenses – what can you claim?

Do you know what you are allowed to claim when you use your car for work?

Check out a few frequently asked questions and answers here.

Read More

New Single Touch Payroll – how will it affect you as an employee?

The ATO is implementing the new Single Touch Payroll system so you can have quick access to your employee pay information.

How will it affect me?

Read More

Foreign Investment Property Owners – Beware of the new tax!

The Bill has passed and received Royal Assent on 30 November 2017 for the Commissioner of Taxation to charge a vacancy fee to foreign residents owning an investment property in Australia that is not occupied.   This has been popularly called a “ghost tax”.

The fee only applies to non-Australian tax residents who own a residential property that was “vacant” for more than 183 days in a financial year.

A residential property is “occupied” (ie not “vacant”) when:

(a)  the owner or his/her relatives genuinely lives in the property,

(b)  the property is under a lease or licence for a minimum of 30 days, or

(c)  the property is genuinely available for lease or licence for a minimum of 30 days.

If the property is classed as “vacant” (ie not “occupied”), then the owner of the property will need to file a “Vacancy fee return” to the Commissioner of Taxation and pay the vacancy tax.